Tuesday, April 26, 2005

A Beautiful Morning of Fishing on the Baptism River

Since I was expecting a normal Minnesota spring morning, 28 degrees and snow, golfing was out of the question so fishing was the logical choice. I packed up the truck and left for the Baptism River at 4:30 in the morning. Its a 2 and a half hour drive but the thought of the river and maybe a fish kept me awake. When I arrived at the river and found I'm the only fisherman this morning, I'm shocked. This is a very popular steeheading river at this time in the spring. Its a long walk to the good fishing so I took pictures along the way, I hope you enjoy them and make the river a place you want to visit sometime.

BTW I saw 3 fish and hooked 1 that ran me around for about 10 minutes before it ran around a rock and got off. All worth while when you have fish on. The only steelhead that you can keep are the hatchery fish so in most instances about 75 % of the fish have to be returned to the river. Catch and release fishing has brought back a sustainable wild population of steelhead to the Minnesota northshore.

Anyway I had a great day and hope you enjoy the pictures.

Steelheader

1 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

I am thinking about going fishing on the the Baptism River on Memorial Day Weekend. Any suggestions on what to use? I don't currently have a fly-fishing set-up, but I do have a few open faced rods and a bait-caster.

8/4/12 22:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
LL Bean Outlet