Monday, August 29, 2005

GOLF OR FLOG...YOUR CALL

Golf what a way to torture yourself, you swing funny shaped clubs at this white ball and then you chase it, Robin Williams version is funnier but you get the drift. I’ve had my ups and downs this year playing and the downs are winning, but just as I’m ready to find another past-time my game shows some promise. I will not at the moment say I can play round after round of good golf, I’m still working on hole after hole. Well to get on with the story I played in the Eagle Ridge playoffs this last weekend, my handicap got me into the second flight. I knew 5 of the players very well and they were all good players. I started with Al Burton who is on my golf league team and more times than not outscores me in league, but this was a match play tourney and total score means squat….How many holes did you win decides the match. I gave Al the first 2 holes and fought back to win the match 2 up.

Now my next opponent was John Robertson, a very good friend that I love to play with. Guess what? I lost the first 2 holes to John and fought our match back to even with 3 holes to go. So what does John do, he birdies the par 5 and I’m 1 down with 2 holes to play. John hits to the front fringe on a par 3 and I’m trying to give the hole away by going into the deep side bunker. My sand shot ended up a foot from the hole and John 3 putted so we’re tied going into the last hole. I hit 1 of my best drives of the day and end up about 110 yards from the green and John hooks a ball OB. Red stakes so he drops a ball at about 170 and hits 10 yards right of the green and he’s lying 3. I take out a 9 iron that should have ended up on the green and hit it 20 yards…I CHUBBY WHACKED IT!! I hit it to the green on my next shot and 2 putt for a bogey and John chips and 2 putts for a 6. I win the match, luckily but I did hit some nice shots along with some bad ones.

Final match was with Rick Anderson who was the class of the flight, a very steady player. I loose the first 2 holes again so I’m 2 down with 7 holes to go. I miss a putt on holes 3, 4, and 5 to win the holes and proceed to loose the 6th hole. I’m 3 down with 3 to play…dormie as the golf commentators would say. After the screw it attitude takes affect I win the next 3 holes and the match is tied and we go into sudden death playoff. I tried like hell to loose the next 3 holes by being in the woods, chunking a second shot and actually made a par to tie a hole. We’re on the 4th extra hole now and I hook a ball into the woods but John who is still with me said I saw it bounce toward the fairway…its close to the edge. Rick steps up to his ball and pushes his drive way into the woods on the right. I step up to hit a provisional ball and hook one further into the woods than my first ball. Mr. Consistency here, and Rick hits the middle of the fairway with his second shot. To end this thing I find my first ball in the woods and its in the open, I hit it to within 40 yards of the green and make a bogey. Rick has to play his second shot and is lying 3 and makes a double. I win the match….Congrats. Shitty win and I still may give up the game, but as bad as it sounds my game shows improvement.

Tomorrow I play Zach in league and he will probably kick my @ss, he won the club championship without too much trouble. Hopefully it will be a friendly @ss kicking. If you read all of this bullshit you are really too bored.

Enjoy your evening

Steelheader

1 Comments:

Blogger Donavon said...

Bored? Nah, just working.

31/8/05 15:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
LL Bean Outlet