Monday, October 10, 2005

SUPRISE-SUPRISE

I promised myself I would go fishing in October and as it’s flying by, I forced myself to get up early from my last night shift and go fishing. I got underway about 11 A.M. and decided to try Pelican Lake for some crappies. I haven’t hit them the last 2 years and was hoping to get lucky today. Today was a perfect day for fall fishing 60 degrees and very little wind I thought it would be a slam dunk for crappies. WELL the crappies had a different idea, I criss-crossed the deep hole where they should be 2 or 3 times and saw no schools of fish and probably didn’t see even a single fish. Go figure….where could they be. Being the fexible fisherman that I am I said lets catch some fish, whatever color they maybe.

Off to the rocky shore line near some islands that I like to fish. After catching 3 nice northerns and having them put up nice long fights I was optimistic. A little ways down the shore line I had a big fish on, and it didn’t feel like a northern. Surprise it was a 22” walleye, Pelican doesn’t have a lot of walleyes but the ones you catch are usually nice size fish. I found that the walleyes were in 18-22 feet of water and in the next 3 hours I caught 5 more large walleyes….I actually caught 2-22”, 1-20”, 2- 18” and a 26” walleye. I released the 26” fish. I had a lot of limits this spring but this may have been the nicest stringer of fish I caught this year.

I guess sometimes you do have to force yourself to get out and it does payoff. Besides the anticipation of some great meals of fresh fish to look forward too…the best part was the picture perfect fall day that I got to enjoy. I hope all readers get to enjoy a fall day of fishing, hunting or any outdoor activity because fall is the best season of the year in northern Minnesota. :-))

Enjoy the nice days…SNOW is coming…. bet on it!!

Steelheader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
LL Bean Outlet